Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Life Happens

When I started this blog, I hoped it would be an opportunity to explore the deeper questions of faith and especially those related to faith and technology.  However, no sooner had I let my friends and family know about it, I was hit (and hit HARD) by "life".  Some of the issues were as serious as life and death and some as seemingly insignificant as the overwhelming amount of laundry created by our family of five.  As I'm starting to come out of the other side of the worst of it (I hope and pray!), it has given me a lot to reflect on regarding God's purposes for our lives.

One of my favorite verses is II Timothy 2:15.  In the King James Version, in which I originally memorized it, it says:

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Note: In other translations that are a little more accurate, the word "study" is translated "be diligent". 

As I've been overwhelmed by "life" in the past few weeks, recalling this verse has made me question whether or not it contradicts itself.  How can we study or be diligent if we are busy being workmen?  My passion and heart's desire is to study the Word and figure out how to best live by it.  How can I do this when God has put me in a season of life where my role as wife and mother makes laundry one of my top responsibilities?

In that last question, I found my answer... I'm in a season of life where God has put me in one of the most important roles I will ever have.  In this season, I may not be able to spend as much time as I'd like following my passions of learning and teaching the deeper issues of theology, but, no matter where we are in life, we are to be diligent in doing what He has called us to do.

So, hopefully in my next posting I'll be able to share some cool observations and insights I've had recently regarding the intersection of faith and technology.  Until then, I encourage you to "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." (II Timothy 2:15 NASB)

Also, I rarely read The Message (just because I prefer the more literal translations) but I found the following verses especially poetic and they have been encouraging to me during the especially tough month of "life".  I pray these words of Jesus encourage you too:

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment